- To reduce pediatric morbidity and mortality as a result of severe injury and illness
- To provide support for injury prevention efforts
- To ensure that all children everywhere in the state have timely access to appropriate emergency medical care
- To provide support and pediatric educational opportunities for pre-hospital and healthcare providers throughout the state
- To represent the unique needs of children within the EMS community throughout the state
- To collect data regarding pediatric related capabilities and needs of providers in Indiana
EMSC focuses on improving the quality of emergency care for children, and seeks to integrate children’s interests into the existing EMS system.
- Ensure and support EMS Agencies to submit National EMS Information System (NEMSIS) compliant version 3.x data to the State EMS Office, have a designated individual who coordinates pediatric emergency care, and a process that requires EMS Providers to physically demonstrate the correct use of pediatric-specific equipment.
- Develop hospital emergency department recognition program to utilize pediatric readiness benchmarking to improve facility readiness statewide.
- Support hospital emergency departments recognized through a statewide system that are able to stabilize and/or manage pediatric trauma.
- Ensure hospitals have written interfacility transfer guidelines and transfer agreements for pediatric or tertiary referral centers when medically needed.
- The degree to which Indiana has established permanence of EMSC program. Each year: EMSC Advisory Board has required members and meets 4 times a year, pediatric representation on EMS Board, state requires pediatric representation on EMS Board, on full time EMSC Manager dedicated solely to the EMSC program.
- Integrate EMSC priorities into state statues or regulations.
Indiana EMSC is committed to partnering with agencies and groups throughout the state to enhance the infrastructure of pediatric care.
We are proud to be working with the Kiwanis, Injury Free Coalition for Kids, Indiana Emergency Nurses Association, Indiana American Academy of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine Department of Emergency Medicine Advocacy Group, Indiana Trauma Task Force, Indiana Department of Homeland Security, Indiana State Department of Health, Indiana Perinatal Network, MESH, Kiwanis, Greater Federation of Women’s Club Department of Education, Indianapolis Public Schools, and others.
We look forward to the opportunity to partner with many other organizations throughout the state.